Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Poop Don't Stank!


It truly frightens me how often I realize that my kids are doing or saying something I never intended on teaching them. I'd like to say that there are only the loveliest of things that they are picking up from me, such as picking up toys, doing laundry, singing bible songs, sharing their food, etc. Unfortunately that's just not the case. Now as I am sure that my kids are learning some good for watching and listening to me, it's the not so good stuff that have been shining through lately. It moments like these that I'm noticing quite often in the Poncy house...

As I was straightening up the couch pillows for MILLIONTH time yesterday, I look over to see Avery very carefully expressing her maternal instincts and tending to the needs of her baby doll. As I watched quietly from a distance I quickly observe the situation that Avery found herself in. Her baby doll pooped.

After flipping the baby upside down to confirm the source of the smell, Avery ever so slightly says, "Uh-Oh. PooPoo". And then, proceeds the lay the baby on her blankie and get to work. Here is where the story goes a bit south... funny, but south. Pulling down the the diaper, Avery slowly leans forward with a look of hesitation.

Alas, the moment has arrived. The moment when I watched Avery perfectly act out exactly what I do approximately 5 time a day. As she peered in at the mess below, a look of disgust and horror came across her face. With a quick blow of stench out of her nose, she closes the diaper back up as though willing the problem to disappear. Looking at her sweet little baby doll Avery begins to say with a crinkled nose and shaking her head, "Oooo, icky, stincky, stinky poopoo". She reaches over to the dried out wipey that she sees on the floor beside them and begins to wipe up the mess carefully. All the while her head is slightly turned and is looking out from the corner of her eye. Luckily, when she was finished and the diaper was back on, she picked up her baby and with a big kiss, hug and a smile says, "Yaaa, all clean"!!!

Now, all this to say that I really hope I am not creating some sort of complex in my children. How horrible would it be if they have poop insecurities for the rest their life? I mean really! Not that anyone walks around proud of their "smelly deeds" (with the exception of my brother maybe). I guess the lesson that I will take from all of this is to maybe tone down the drama a bit. I don't need for my kids to think that their "Poop Don't Stank" (no one ever turns out quite right with that in mind)... But must I make a spectacle of those "brown lil' buns"? No. I really shouldn't. Even though me and the kiddos end up laughing about the silly faces and sounds mommy makes, I would hate for them to be feeling embarrassed or ashamed about such things :)


Just a thought,
Amber ;)

1 comment:

  1. Honey these are the stories that you share through a lifetime. So many Poncy laughs. I don't think they will have any problems with poop. So funny.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!