Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A little closer. A little longer.

Rainy day schedules... aaahhhhhhh :) Mommy's favorite.

Something I am so thankful for is that each of my kids would rather cozy up to mom and dad, than do just about anything else. Yes, they are young still, and I realize that they may not want to as much when they're older, but that's why I REFUSE to waist these moments I have now.

But have you noticed that even your naturally cuddly kids come a little closer and stay a little longer on rainy days? Yesterday my robe seemed to fit only me, yet magically today there is room for me and three more. Which of course gave me a great excuse to keep it on longer :)

If the clouds are sprinkling your house today, I hope you'll join me in ditching the "to do" list. 
Today calls for Books, Blankets, and Hot Coco. 

I would love to hear some the ways you like to enjoy your rainy days. Leave me a comment below sharing your family's secrets ;)

First task of the day... Light the fire :)

Second... Cuddle and cartoon :)


 Today God gives me rain. 
He knows my needs. He rains down His love on me. 
Thank you Lord, I love you too.




Here's what school looks like for our drizzly day: 
(lots of cozy couch learning today)

  • Have the kids try to be really quiet so you can hear the rain drops. In a whispery voice tell them why it rains and how good rain is for the earth. Ask questions like: Who/What drinks rain water? Where does rain water go (after nap we'll put on raincoats and go look at the rain gutter outside)? If we had no roof over us, what would happen in the rain? Use books or computer a resource for information and pictures. 
  • Teach and sing "The ants go marching two by two". (we march around and sing together)
  • Look up weather forecast for tomorrow. Cut and Color in a cloud or glue cotton balls with Raindrops underneath. 
  •  Teach them about Noah and the Ark. Read the story from your Bible or a book. Have them think of as many animals as they can but also talk about the reason God chose Noah and how Noah believed and obeyed God.
  • For phonics today will go over "ai" words like: rain, trains, brain, snail, mail... incorporate rhyming sounds. (I only have preschoolers so I don't have goals for them mastering this stuff. Simply introduction and exposure for mine will do for now. 
  • We are actually on the Letter D this week so I think I'll we'll the word Drain. You know... "the D says 'duh', and "dr" says 'durrr'... and then on to the 'ai' sound, and so on :) 
  • For counting we will use 2 dice and twelve mini marshmallows (rain clouds) each. Each kids rolls and counts the black dots, then pulling from his pile for mallow, he counts out the same number. We do that over and over again (I say things like "two on this die PLUS two on this die equals four.")  Joel usually copies what I say. and of course we clap and cheer, celebrating addition, hahahaha.
  • And then we read, and we read, and we read! 
*This list is in no particular order. Yes, I would love to accomplish all that's listed above today, but IT'S OK if we don't. Or maybe we can actually do MORE! That is the beauty of homeschooling... It can flex and adjust with our day. Especially in this season of mommy hood, I am grateful for the flexibility! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments!